.

.

Friday, May 22, 2009

Homeschooling Preschoolers?


I want to throw this out there for you ladies to help me with!

Many of you have experience in homeschooling. And I know I'll be able to get a lot of advice from my own mom who home schooled all three of us kids. But I thought it would be interesting to get some other perspectives too.

Our Elijah is three so he doesn't have to officially start school until the fall of 2010. But he already loves to say his letters and numbers (with help!) and he's really good at naming colors.

I want to be prepared for when the time comes. So I'd love to hear what you all do/did for schooling at this age.

What would you do for a little kiddo just starting school? How did you make it fun and interesting for little ones learn?

Do you have any tips or lessons learned that I and others reading here can learn from?

Thanks in advance for your help!


P.S. Alicia, i'm always impressed with all that you do for your class. I'll be watching you for ideas! =)

5 comments:

Carrie said...

So I'm not a mom, or a homeschooler, or a teacher...but I was a kid once...yesterday...

Anyway, letter's with playdough, clay, or SOFT PRETZEL dough is awesome. You make your own alphabet, then you can make words with it. And they're YOUR words because YOU made them. Seriously, it doesn't get much better than that.

Edible playdough or soft pretzels are the bestest, because then you can EAT it!! :-)

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

Oh my goodness Melissa! I could give you so so many things to do with him. I teach at a developmental preschool....so I am all for developmental and not shoving academics down their throats at this age. They learn BEST through play! If you want me to really go into depth about it all send me an email!! I would love to give you tips and things to teach him or help him learn, if you are for developmental development. I have lots up my sleeve! :-)

Brittany Ann said...

Oh, I just started crying, realizing he's going to be ready for school so soon! He grew up right in front of us!

Brittany Ann said...

Oh, and as a teacher, I agree with Alicia...learn through play, especially because he's a little boy. It's the best way, and it doesn't squelch his desire to learn too young.

Tracy@dreambox.com said...

For a jump-start in early math, you might consider Dreambox Learning. Its an interactive approach to learning the fundamental skills of math. We've been developing our game as a way to introduce math to kids in a fun yet cogent manner. Particularly for young children with lots of extra energy, math games can be an effective way to instill strong early math skills. Good Luck!